Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

SPIC & SPAN

 
image unknown
With the new year brings our list of resolutions we hope to accomplish; eat better, work out, save more money, clean and organize (just to name a few).  This year, I started reorganizing some items in closets and purged.  When I get on a roll, I want to carry it through and, with organizing, comes cleaning.

In today's post, I'll share some of my favorite cleaning products and tips for the home.

The post title, Spic 'n Span has a special meaning to me.  So, I'm dedicating this post to my older sister (older by 20 months), Rose Angel.  I'll explain . . .

During our childhood, we (my sister and younger brother (Geovel) would spend a lot of time at my Aunt (Titi) Margie's home and play with her children, (our cousins), Jay and Melissa.  We laughed and played games and made a mess of their rooms.  My sister was always "in charge".  That's understandable since she is the oldest of the group.  But she played the role of boss in a fun (and clever) way.  She would make it into a game!  The game she called was "spic and span".  When our parents told us to clean up because we were getting ready to leave, they didn't mean my sister was omitted from this chore.  She excluded herself (lol).  She would announce, "Ok, let's play spic and span!"  In this game, we each had a chore.  We all joke about her game now.

Now that I've shared my little story, let's talk about cleaning.  Anyone who knows me, knows I love to maintain a clean house.   I thought I would share with you some of my favorite products:

Glass Cleaners
 
When it comes to glass cleaners, I tend to alternate between two products.  The first is Biokleen glass cleaner.  This glass cleaner is basically vinegar and water.  It works great on windows and glass.  It's streak free and leaves no residue.  I buy it at Fairway or an organic market where I live.
Tough on Dirt, Gentler on the Earth™Vinegar Cleaning Power
  • Dries Streak-Free
  • Preferred by Professional Window Washers
  • No Artificial Fragrance, Colors or Preservatives
  • 100% Full Ingredient Disclosure
Contains No:  Phosphate, chlorine, ammonia, petroleum solvents, butyl, glycol ether, SLES, EDTA, DEA., or EPA priority pollutants.  No materials listed by the ACGIH as hazardous.
 

 
The second glass cleaner, is by Sprayway.  It is considered the worlds best glass cleaner. This ammonia free product foams when sprayed.  It works well with any mirror or glass and it smells nice too.  I clean my car windows with this product and it's great.  I buy this product at Home Depot.
(website)
  • The World's Best Glass Cleaner. Excellent for windows, mirrors, windshields and other glass surfaces
  • Dissolves dirt, grease, grit, and grime
  • Heavy-duty foam clings to vertical surfaces
  • Guaranteed to leave no film
  • Contains perfume-grade alcohol for best performance
  • Ammonia-free
  • Clean fresh fragrance


  • Dish Soap

    Website

    This product is not only used to clean my dishes but I clean my bathroom sinks, tile and glass shower (inside).  I can't tell you how much I love Dawn.  It really leave everything squeaky clean and is gentle (original Dawn).  And a little goes a long way.  For our glass shower doors, we are not allowed to put any chemicals on the glass.  Dawn really cleans the glass shower doors!

    Cleanser



    Website
    Bar Keeper's Friend is an amazing product for stainless steel.  I have All Clad pots and pans and I can't tell you how great this cleanser is for keeping these pots and pans looking like new!  I also use this product to clean my stainless steel sink.  I prefer the soft cleanser as opposed to the powder.  Amazing! If you haven't tried it, it's a must!  You can find it at Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot and most supermarkets. 


    Stainless Steel Cleaner

    Cerba Bryte Stainless Steel Cleaning Polish and Conditioner (website)


    I learned about this product when we purchased our stainless steel appliances.  We received a free sample of this product.  I've been hooked ever since.  This product contains mineral oil and removes fingerprints and water spots. I only use this to clean our stainless steel appliances.  It takes a little time; pouring product on a dry paper cloth/towel and applying product then using a soft cloth to shine and even out.  But, it's lasts for weeks and looks like new.

    Wood Floor Cleaner
    (website)
    Murphy's Oil Soap has been around for a hundred years and works great for our wood floors.  For weekly cleaning, I use a steam mop but use Murphy's Oil once a month.  I love the way it smells and how it clean it leaves our wooden floors and protects them too!
     
    All Purpose Cleaner
     

    (website)

     
    Simple Green is a great all purpose cleaner.  A friend of mine introduced me to this product.  You should definitely dilute this with water because it's pretty strong (concentrate).  But it leaves some a nice scent to your home.  I use this product when cleaning my tile floors and other areas I want to wipe down for a quick, good clean.



    (website)






    Clorox Bleach is another great product that has been around for years and I use this bleach for different uses in our home.  Once a month, I use it to clean our tile, grout lines and toilets.  It helps remove any mildew and mold.  It whitens and freshens those areas that need extra tlc.  Be sure to dilute the product with water because of the concentration and rinse well. 

    So, there you have it . . . my cleaning product picks for our home.  I try different products as well but these are my staple products.  I would love to hear about any products you use in your home. 

    Happy cleaning . . . spic 'n span away.

    xo

    1 comment:

    1. LOL! Well I knew if I made it into a game, you guys would clean up! I'm always looking for a better window cleaner, will try your suggestion!

      ReplyDelete